Nuisances – Trash & Garbage/Rodent

Nuisances must be of “public health significance”, in other words can the nuisance cause the spread disease within the community?  Typical nuisances the Environmental Division addresses are:

  • trash and garbage (outside the home)
  • rats
  • sewage

We do receive a wide variety of calls ranging from dead animals/birds, manure, dog poop, mold, meth, radon, lead paint, tenant and landlord housing issues, etc.  The Environmental Public Health Division does not inspect or enforce any residential building code (currently, there is no County minimum building code for residential housing) for issues dealing with plumbing, electrical, roof, etc.  You may wish to check with your village offices to find out if there is a residential building code within your village. Please contact the EPH staff at 419.485.3141 if you need information and we will assist you with referral information.

Complete this Investigation Request Form and mail, e-mail, or fax it into our office.

  1. Can I make an anonymous call to complain about a nuisance?
    The Environmental Public Health Division keeps all information confidential unless a case has to go to court.  We need complete information because the Sanitarian may not be able to locate the problem and may need to contact you.  Without complete information, we may be unable to resolve the problem you are dealing with.
  2.  How do I file a complaint?  Will my name be given out?
    We have an “Investigation Request Form” that can be faxed or mailed to you, or you can come into our Montpelier office to complete the form.  A Sanitarian will keep you informed on what is being done to resolve the problem.  Your name will be kept confidential unless a case has to go to court.
  3.  I think I have bed bugs.  What should I do to get rid of them?
    The spread of bed bugs have become prevalent in recent years.  To find out what steps you can take to protect yourself, click here: and select “B” on the A-Z index then select “Bed Bugs”.  Further down on this same page is a connection to the Ohio State University fact sheet.  Click on that to get more information.
  4. I have mold in the home that I rent.  How can I get the landlord to correct it?
     Click here to learn more.
  5. How do I test my home for radon?  lead paint? mold?
    Currently, the Environmental Public Health Division does not have radon, lead or mold testing kits.  You can check with your local hardware store as many of them do carry radon and lead self-testing kits.  The Nursing Division does work  with doctor’s offices and the Ohio Department of Health concerning cases of children with elevated blood lead levels.  For more information about elevated blood lead levels, contact the Nursing Division at 419.485.3141.  If  you can see mold or notice a musty odor, you have mold. The Environmental Public Health Division does not recommend testing for mold since testing can be very expensive.  We recommend you take the steps outlined in our websites Mold Cleanup Information.  If you do want the mold sampled, there are several companies in the Toledo, OH area.  You can search the internet for “mold clean up and testing companies in Toledo, Ohio”.
  6. I know someone who hoards trash and garbage inside their home.  What can be done?
    The Environmental Public Health Division receives numerous calls from concerned citizens about a relative, friend or neighbor who hoards trash, junk, garbage, etc. in their home.  There is little our Division can do in such situations – unless the problem is contributing to the possible spread of infectious disease within the community.  The Environmental Public Health Division does work with other agencies, such as the Williams County Job & Family Services Department.  If you would like more information concerning their services, you can contact them at telephone 419-636-6725.
  7. My landlord won’t fix the floor/roof/electrical/etc.  What can I do?
    Are you planning on renting an apartment or converted home?  Here are a few tips that may save you some headaches.  Before you plunk down your cold hard cash and move in or sign that lease agreement:

    • Inspect the apartment.  If there are items in disrepair, a good landlord will have them fixed before anyone moves in.  Once you do move in, you may have difficulty getting your landlord to fix them.
    • Check for plumbing leaks – look under sinks with water turned on and if there’s a basement, check there too.
    • Make sure faucets work properly.
    • Look for stains on ceilings – in closets too.  This may mean the roof leaks.  Look at the roof.  Are there shingles missing?
    • Look at the doors and windows – do they fit properly? are they screened? Is there excessive condensation inside the windows? (this can lead to mold)
    • Does the apartment smell musty? (this may mean a mold problem)
    • Are bathroom floors and fixtures in good condition?
    • Are there exposed electrical wires, missing outlet covers or extension cords being used?  This may mean electrical problems.
    • Turn the furnace on to be sure it works and turn on the hot water to be sure the water works.